The work of the SVRI is framed by the Sexual Violence Research Agenda. The Sexual Violence Research Agenda identifies focus areas for research, within which 6 broad priority areas are outlined. These are:
Priority Area 1: Nature, Prevalence, Social Context and Risk Factors Associated with Sexual Violence
Priority Area 2: Sexual Violence Prevention
Priority Area 3: Appropriateness and Effectiveness of Sexual Violence Services
Priority Area 4: Childhood Sexual Abuse
Priority Area 5: Sexual Violence in Conflict and Emergency Settings
Priority Area 6: HIV and Sexual Violence
Principles for SVRI Projects
All projects implemented or supported by the SVRI should:
- Adhere to international safety and ethical guidelines
- Focus on low and middle income-settings
- Be conceptualized within a human rights framework
- Strive to be cross-sectoral and multi-disciplinary;
- Where relevant and appropriate endeavour to engage the community that is being researched;
- Challenge the gender hierarchy that contributes to sexual violence in order to promote gender equality.
- Inform policy, programs and services and serve to strengthen access to comprehensive care and support for survivors.