The Sexual Violence Research Initiative (SVRI) and the World Bank Group (WBG) are seeking applications for innovative research and interventions or related activities that will contribute to the prevention and response of gender based violence (GBV) in low and middle-income countries.
Types of projects eligible for award
Through this award, the SVRI and the WBG are looking to support the following types of projects:
- Piloting, adaptation, testing and/or scale up of new or promising interventions, including formative research that will contribute to the design of GBV prevention interventions or evaluations of effective scale up and adaptation.
- Qualitative studies that explore the effectiveness and process of creating change with innovative GBV prevention interventions or the acceptability, impact, and process of change created by interventions that support and assist survivors of GBV;
- “Integration projects” that test the integration of GBV prevention or prevention and response components or activities in an intervention with a primary objective other than reducing GBV, like those in other development sectors, including large infrastructural projects;
- Self-contained intervention research projects that are either stand alone or fit within a larger project which will build on, or support GBV prevention or response intervention learning, including formative research studies, pilot or feasibility studies.
- Costing studies on promising/effective GBV interventions to assess value for money.
- Adding a new component/arm to an already funded intervention that can provide additional insight into the effectiveness of intervention components.
- Secondary analysis of existing data that will provide insights into addressing VAW more effectively and sustainably.
- Studies to measure ripple/spillover effects of women’s economic empowerment or political participation programming on GBV.
- Research on the role of the private sector in GBV prevention and response, what effective strategies can they deploy within organizations and the communities they work with.
If the funds are sought for secondary analysis of data or scale up activities, the application must provide sufficient information to enable the scientific quality of the original study to be assessed as well as a description of the activities for which funds are requested.
Award Length and Amount
Projects under this call should be for a maximum of up to 24 months duration. The award is expected to cover all, or the majority of, the project/component costs. The common characteristic of these awards is the provision of limited funding for a short period of time with clear measurable outcomes. Awards of up to $100,000 are available. Any applications with requests exceeding USD100,000 will not be considered. Awards will only be made to institutions, companies and not to individuals.
Guiding Principles for Awards
Awards supported by the SVRI and the World Bank Group should:
- Adhere to international safety and ethical guidelines
- Focus on low and middle income-settings
- Be conceptualized within a human rights framework
- Strive to be cross-sectoral and multi-disciplinary
- Where relevant and appropriate endeavor to engage the community that is being researched
- Challenge the gender hierarchy that contributes to GBV in order to promote gender equality
- Inform policy, programs and services and serve to strengthen access to comprehensive care and support for survivors
The closing date for applications is 13th September 2019 at 11:59:59pm South African Standard Time (5:59:59pm EDT). Late applications will not be accepted.
How to apply
Applications for an SVRI and World Bank Group Development Marketplace Award for Innovation in the prevention and response of gender-based violence must be made online at: https://proposalcentral.altum.com/. To access this award opportunity, you must first create an account on proposalCENTRAL. Select South African Medical Research Council as the Award Maker in the drop-down menu. All information needed for proposal submission is available online in the SVRI and World Bank Group Development Marketplace for Innovation on GBV Prevention Award Application Guidelines.
Award Information Summary
- Level of award: Up to $100,000USD
- Period of award: up to 24 months
- Closing date for applications: 13th September 2019 at 11:59:59pm South African Standard Time (5:59:59pm EDT).
- Further information:
- Language of application: Applications in English, French and Spanish will be accepted.
- Method of application: Applications must be submitted online https://proposalcentral.altum.com/ (Award Maker Sexual Violence Research Initiative and World Bank Group).
Only proposals submitted online via the Proposal Central website before the given closing date and time will be considered. Online applications can be complicated. Please try and submit well before the deadline. The SAMRC, WBG and Proposal Central will not be held responsible for delays in internet connectivity or problems experienced with the online form.